The RST staff are very enthusiastic and very keen to help growers.
The Regional Skills Training (RST) Vegetable Production Program offers training under the following qualifications:
- AHC30122 Certificate III in Agriculture
- AHC32822 Certificate III in Rural Operations
- AHC30116 Certificate III in Agriculture
- AHC32816 Certificate III in Rural Operations
This course is best suited for students based in the Northern Adelaide Plains region who are:
- Experienced in aspects of the Vegetable Growing sector who are looking to gain Freshcare accreditation and improving their farming skills
- New entrants to the Vegetable Growing industry
If you are a school student and are looking to undertake a qualification while at school or a School-based Apprenticeship/Traineeship (SBAT), please contact us for further information.
RST will work with you to determine the most suitable course to meet your needs.
Students will cover core topics of Work Health and Safety and Environmentally sustainable work practices as well as a selection of industry relevant topics such as:
- Machinery maintenance
- Soil sampling and testing
- Pest control techniques
- Chemical accreditation
- Crop Agronomy (pest, disease and weed control)
- Integrated Pest Management
- Troubleshooting an irrigation system
During the enrolment process RST staff will work with you to develop a training plan that targets your areas of skill development and the needs of your business.
Studying with RST
Most of the training will take place at your farm. Some classroom training will be held at the Virginia Horticulture Centre.
You can enrol and commence your training at any time.
By attending all scheduled workshops and completing all assessments a course should take between 18 months and two years to complete.
Please refer to the course fee sheet for information on fees and charges as well as concessions that may be available.
What our students say
When the RST agronomist visited our farm they saw we were having problems with our capsicums. He then helped us on how to overcome this problem and rang us weeks later to see if they were improving.
With RST’s backing, I got to know new information such as how to get firm and the right size and colour of the fruit.